Mississippi County CourthouseOsceola, AR
Renaissance was contracted by Mississippi County to replace the copper dome atop the courthouse and repair several masonry elements. The courthouse was built in 1912 and added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1978. The Osceola courthouse is one of two county seats in Mississippi County.
- complete restoration of the copper dome
- natural slate roofing
- masonry and terra-cotta
- architectural sheet metal
- gutters and downspouts
After more than 100 years, the copper dome had deteriorated and was was starting to fall apart when the county contacted Revival Architecture, Inc. to create a plan for restoration.
Once the work began structural elements of the dome, damaged due to age and a previous fire inside the dome, were found and needed to be repaired before the new copper dome could be installed.
The year-long project required dealing with multiple project adjustments and redesigns requiring team work with the project team leaders including the architect and county officials.
THE RENAISSANCE SOLUTION
As a registered National Historic Place, it was imperative that Renaissance work closely with the Owner, the Architect, and the Arkansas State Historic Preservation Committee to ensure all replacement elements adhered to historic requirements, architectural drawings, and current codes.
All copper elements were custom fabricated, using historic fabrication techniques, in the Renaissance copper studio, to original dimensions based on original samples. All new samples were reviewed and approved prior to production, transportation, and installation.
Extensive glazed architectural terra-cotta elements were restored, with composite casts produced onsite including decorative textures, colors, and materials. In addition, extensive cutting and pointing of the brick and terra-cotta was completed. All masonry work was done concurrent to the dome fabrication and installation.
As a result of Renaissance's knowledge and expertise, the county is assured another hundred years for this historic landmark.
The project received an Honorable Mention by Preserve Arkansas and was recognized at their annual award dinner at the Governor's Mansion.