ST. PETER CATHOLIC CHURCHJefferson City, Missouri
St. Peter Catholic Church in Jefferson City, Missouri was dedicated in 1883 and served as the first Cathedral of the Diocese of Jefferson City until 1968. The church is part of the Missouri State Historic District and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on June 18, 1976.
- Complete restoration of the church and steeple roofs.
- Custom copper flashings and counter flashings.
- Custom fabrication and gilding of new cross.
- Integrated snow fence.
The previous roofing system was comprised of Ludowici clay tiles which were too heavy for the structure and were slowly causing deflection across the entire roofing system.
A large hail event caused substantial damages to the entire church and Renaissance was called to provide solutions.
THE RENAISSANCE SOLUTION
The entire roofing system was re-engineered for a new roofing system comprised of both Vermont unfading green and New York red slate.
All 20 oz. copper flashings, counter flashings and custom copper work were fabricated in-house at the Renaissance facility in Belvidere, Illinois, and were installed on the church along with the installation of the slate roof on a wooden batten system.
Renaissance also fabricated the new cross that rests at the top of the steeple, visible from miles away.
The project ran through the coldest part of the winter with Renaissance employees onsite for the duration.
The results of Renaissance's planning and craftsmanship are easily recognizable, even for an untrained eye. In the shadow of the State Capitol Building, or vice versa, this restoration turned out to be a museum quality, slate and copper roofing system, befitting a Church of its magnitude and opulence.